Thursday 4 March 2010

Hows your Butt looking? (or whatever name you have for it!)



Last night..I was awake for a while thinking about Pilates..sad eh?? thought of great idea for a blog and now Ive forgotten it..must write these thoughts down when i get them..as my bed is against a wall, the wall will be covered in words the next morning..
So Im just going to tap out words and see what happens....eureka!! now Ive remembered..it was about Bottoms, Butts, Behinds, Arses..whatever you call them!
I attended Pilates classes for a couple of years, and one morning, after a shower, I caught a glimpse of my backside in the mirror and wondered why it was heading South and not looking too good, then had a look at my belly and wondered the same, if i was doing Pilates and these "core" moves, why wasnt it working after all this time? I was holding everything  tight at 80% plus as I was told..so whats the issue? I wasnt lazy, I was at class twice a week and doing cardio on top of that..
Like most people, I carried on, forgot about it, until the next time, and the next time..and I didnt do anything about it..do you think we, as human beings, are just lazy until we really push ourselves..? something happens to make us change our ways..?
Day One of my Pilates Teacher Training with The Pilates Institute in London was an amazing Light Bulb moment..I got it straight away..it was everything I wanted and more, it delivered and answered my questions..everything I didnt get from the past 2 years, but I didnt know that until now..its a bit like going upstairs to get something, getting there & forgetting what it was you wanted, and going all the way back down to try to remember what it was..then going back upstairs again hoping you dont forget!



Anyway, not wishing to annoy or undermine the teacher of the large studio class (20 plus clients..never knowing who is in the room or what their background is in fitness , health..etc)  we all have different teaching styles & life would be dull if we were all the same, & a gym style class will always be different..the choice is yours as they say, maybe until you have that light bulb moment or look in the mirror and wonder why your butt and/or tum is looking a bit South facing..why your shoulder pain hasnt gone, why your knees hurt, why you keep getting sciatica, why your hamstrings are still tight?

  So..now I take that Eureka feeling and hopefully translate it to all my clients in all my classes, so they get "it"..my body shape changed in a matter of months..more than it ever did in the last 2 years when all I saw was a droopy arse and abs (bit too graphic? sorry!) why we do what we do, how it works, how it makes you stronger, why sitting at a desk for 4 - 8 hours a day will make your back hurt and shoulders/neck ache if you arent aware of your posture, posture type, how to correct it, just by a bit of tweaking & knowledge of the deep stabilising muscles we are aiming for..its easy but at the same time its hard..if youve been to one of my classes you will understand what I mean by that, if you haven't then you wont, so see you soon then for the answer..
got a car? ever had to take it to the garage for an MOT , did they tweak it to make it run smoother..your body is the same..spend money on the car to make it run better..spend it on your body to do the same..as in the words of a well known Supermarket(but changing the first word..)...learn something new today

No comments: